Saturday, October 29, 2005

When the stomach grumbles

I was talking to a friend yesterday about fasting, something I used to be quite regular at years ago, but I somehow fell into that ol' eating habit and stopped doing it. Anyway, I got to thinking about it and skimming old books I had read and I was remembering just how much a good fast will do ya. I plan to start fasting once a week again, as the rewards run the gamut from one less day of food to pay for, to having the discipline to control your appetites and not the reverse. There are of course the physiological benefits as well, when I used to fast the friend that I did this craziness with would see the benefits almost immediately in his joints. The friend I was talking with this time is hoping to see a remedy to bowel issues. I personally just like the idea of the weekly detox, since there is so much crap we consume against our will, it can't hurt to try and purge.

One day a week is not really this major, Ghandi-esque sacrifice, but it does have the benefit of showing you that it might not be so bad. I remember the last time I did a 3 day fast, I was so low on energy that I was just laying on the kitchen floor, idly day dreaming. You get a little crazy after 3 days, and when you're a little crazy to start...

I hope to see a revisiting of the longer fasting after I get back into the 1 day routine, I don't know how long I'll move up to, butt 3 days had some nice perks in the past. We'll see. As I get thinking about fasting again, I also get thinking about vegetarianism, or at least kickin the red meat habit again. That stuff just sits in your bowels, not fully digested (I'll not go into the details that I recall from fasting history.) Anyway, yah... fasting. It makes me hungry just thinking about it.

1 Comments:

At 11/14/2005 8:57 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

I'm thinking about doing that, too, once baby is weaned. While it's good to give the body a rest, it's difficult when I love to eat! I'd like to start out monthly, then bi-weekly, then ultimately weekly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home