Friday, September 16, 2005

where things start

I have this little book titled 'Think On', more of a pamphlet really, and it just has a quote on each page. Looking through it the other night, I noticed a general trend to what its saying. The phrase that stuck in (and keeps bobbing to the top of) my brain.

"What you Think about, you Bring about."

A lot of the phrases mimic that sentiment, maybe all, maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to see (or needed to see) at the time. Regardless, the message is 'Everything Starts in your Mind'. Hardly a revolutionary thought, and not the first time I've seen it or thought about it, but it was a gentle reminder about MY head and thought processes.

About a decade ago, I made a web page. I wanted to get my thoughts out there on this then very new World Wide Web, and in my brief stint at IRC chatting, it would give me a place to refer people to. It was quite philosophical in nature (and now I'm going to need to look it up I see) and was rife with thoughts of human potential and general reality building stuff. I used to have a checklist of "deep thoughts" I wanted to explore and gestate. I did a good bit of it then, largely building a reality model for Jody, but I've not put any mind on it in a while. Getting off track, the aforementioned phrase just returned me to thinking about human potential.

I know its odd to say, and hardly believable, but in my life, everything I've genuinely pursued, I have received... at the very least I've received a path to obtain it. Sometimes words DO speak louder than action I guess. I'm still not stinking rich (monetarily), but I'm doing pretty well otherwise. Hard to say that as I honestly balk at getting a cup of coffee as I walk past the local coffee shop on the way to work because of limited funds, but really I have what I wanted most in my younger life. Priority one was a loving family, I now have a beautiful wife, a beautiful daughter whom I love both dearly, and I spend a little bit of every day looking at the mountains at a window somewhere in my life (I managed to score a window next to my desk at work that looks right up into the mountains between a couple of other office buildings.)

I could use more money, I think most people would say that so its not mind blowing that I want more too. But information is largely free and I can get my hands on just about any topic that comes to mind with ease. I have the internet with its educational articles, the blogs, and news sites all a couple of clicks away. Sadly I didn't know about Technorati before I learned about Blogsearch, I discovered both in an odd bit of serendipity, as I discovered blogsearch before the internet was peppered with news articles and technorati before those same articles started comparing the two. I discovered both on the same day blogsearch came about and just assumed they always existed and I was late in finding them. There is a huge community that pursues intellectual pursuits wholy for their own non-commercial purposes. So yah, rich with opportunity to learn more.

I now find myself on the cusp of change, or at least re-affecting change in my life. I've got a strong inclination to get back to school, though I might just do an online option to get my psychology degree finished (anyone have a great, fast, cheap and legal way to get that done? ) I think I need about 60 credit hours to finish it up, maybe more because I have more CompSci credits than social sciences. Regardless, I'm actually now thinking of futures again and thats good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home